16 oz ground PAOW!, (Put in a food processor and pulse until it looks like the texture of “ground beef”)
2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling between layers
½ tsp salt plus more for seasoning layers
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp all spice
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 cups short grain white rice uncooked
2 tomatoes, medium diced
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
Jar of grape leaves
Prepare the stuffing:
- Chop alHeat a large pan on medium heat with olive oil and add the PAOW! Add all the dry seasoning and cook until golden brown.
- Add the rice to the ground PAOW!, and stir to make sure it is fully incorporated
Prepare the grape leaves:
- Drain grape vine leaves and soak them in a large bowl of water to take away some of the brininess.
- Gently separate and wash the leaves doing this individually and stack them on a plate.
Time for the roll-up! Stuff and roll the grape leaves:
- Place a grape leaf flat on a cutting board, scoop out a heaping teaspoon of the rice mixture into the center of the grape leaf, and carefully fold in the sides and roll it like you would when making a wrap. Repeat until all the stuffing has been used and place the wrapped grape leaves in a tray.
- Grab a large pot and line the bottom with potatoes and season with salt. Neatly arrange the stuffed and rolled grape leaves in rows, alternating directions, to completely cover the circumference of the pot. Drizzle each layer with olive oil and season with salt to taste.
- Add the diced tomatoes and place a small round plate on top of grape leaves in the pot to hold them down and prevent floating while they are cooking.
- Add 5 cups of boiling water to completely cover the grape leaves and the plate, then cover the pot and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Add the lemon juice on top of the grape leaves, then cook on low heat for an additional 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool uncovered for 30 minutes.
Prep time: 45 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins