2 cups of PAOW! Chef Style
2 cinnamon sticks
3 whole cloves
2 star anise
1 large white onion, peeled and quartered
4-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and halved lengthwise
4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable stock or broth
4 cups water
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
6 ounces (one large handful) rice noodles
1 tablespoon avocado oil, mild extra-virgin olive oil or your neutral-flavored oil of choice
5 ounces thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
Sprigs of fresh basil (use Thai basil if you can find it) or cilantro
Sprigs of fresh mint
Thinly sliced green onions (mostly green parts)
Very thinly sliced fresh jalapeño (omit if sensitive to spice)
Small wedges of lime
- Warm a medium soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, cloves, and star anise and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, vegetable stock, water, and tamari. Raise the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to give the flavors time to meld.
- In the meantime, prepare your rice noodles by cooking them according to package directions. Set them aside.
- To prepare the shiitake mushrooms and PAOW!, warm the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the mushrooms and PAOW! and a few dashes of salt/pepper. Cook until the mushrooms and PAOW! are tender and lightly browned, about 4 to 6 minutes, then set them aside.
- Once the broth is done cooking, take out the onions, ginger, and spices. Season the broth to taste with extra tamari and or salt/pepper.
- Ladle the broth into bowls, add cooked noodles and mushrooms and PAOW!, and fresh garnishes to taste. Serve immediately, with chopsticks and soup spoons.